Monday 22 August 2016

Telecaster build - shielding

Pickups are ordered and en route. I took delivery of a 'light mint' pickguard that is the right colour (third time lucky...). Before the pickups arrive I wanted to get the pickup cavities shielded.

I picked up some copper tape to line the back of the pickguard and cavities:

Starting:



The sides were trimmed as I stuck the tape down until:



Then I used my original body template to cut strips of copper tape to fit at the bottom of the cavities:




I stuck these down into the bottom of the cavities and also taped around the sides, and they looked like this:




And the control cavity:




I think a lot of people use conductive paint for this job. I may use that in the future, but I quite like the shiny look you get from using copper tape. Unfortunately, this tape is not the *good stuff* with conductive glue. I'll have to put little blobs of solder at the joints to complete the Faraday cage.

Pickups should arrive tomorrow... although annoyingly I've lost the nut that I stored in a 'safe place' a couple of months back :]

No comments:

Post a Comment