Thursday 4 August 2016

Telecaster build - ooooh... shiny...

It's been a quiet few weeks. However, I recently got back into the swing of things with finishing the sanding and polishing of the neck! 

To be honest, it's such a long job that I'd been putting it off, but a concerted effort in the past couple of weeks have just yielded some extremely motivating results.

I didn't take too many pictures, but basically start at about 1000 grit (800 if you're feeling bold) and follow the same procedure for the neck as the body. The there are a lot of edge to be careful of, and avoid getting water on the fretboard. 

By about 1500 grit, I was here:



and thinking about leaving it without polishing - the satin finish is pretty, and I prefer playing with the neck like this. However, I couldn't resist giving it a little polish to see what it looked like...



The grain looked amazing, so I polished the whole neck through three grades of polish:



And:



And at this point, there's obviously no choice but to put the neck and body together to see how it's going to look:



It'll have a mint pickguard rather than the white one, but it looks exactly as I wanted it to when I started out.

I have a few more sessions on the body - I had to paint over some small cracks in the nitro which need buffing out again - but then we're onto the fret and neck work and the electrics!

No comments:

Post a Comment