Monday 15 February 2016

Telecaster Two build - more neck

There's a defined order of work for the rest of this neck. I need to radius the fretboard to get it's final thickness before I can mill the neck blank before I can carve it. 

To radius the fretboard, I needed a centreline so needed to get the neck blank routed down to its final shape. One of the things I've been trying to do in these two builds is trying to de-risk each step as much as possible. With that in mind, I build a router box to run the router on. This will keep the router from slipping off the template when cutting and makes sure the router bit is always at 90 degrees to the work:


It is much easier and more controlled to use the router like this, and I'll be using this technique for almost all of my routing from now. Here's some close ups of the corners and headstock:



Then I trimed the fretboard down using the already cut neck as a guide for the bearing on my router cutter - I had already attached it to the neck with tape / glue before realising that I hadn't trimmed it... I just made a lot of very small passes with the router to pare it down:


Yielding:


Knowing the final size of the fretboard meant I could mark a centre line and mount it in my fretboard radiusing jig:


Then I spent the usual 100 hours sanding it down to shape:


And started drilling the holes for the inlay dots, this time in MOP:


And finished:


It's only rough sanded to about 60 grit; I'm going to inlay my design at the 12th fret, which has a high risk of being mess up'able before finishing it any further

No comments:

Post a Comment