Tuesday 12 January 2016

Telecaster build - neck profile

Just a small update; I started the neck profile. My method involves carving the profile at the 1st and 12th frets, then joining the two of these up. It will have a fairly standard "C" shape on the neck, the thickness will about match that of the current US Telecaster (which is about 0.82" / 21 mm including the fingerboard thickness, depending on where you read). 

First I use a profile gauge to measure the profile at the first fret off my Parker Fly:



Then I draw some lines showing the lines where the headstock will 'blend' into the neck. The lines must not be crossed with any of the carving tools, and must remain sharp till later:



And start carving, using rasps, planes and the japanese saw file. Bit further to go:



Keep going until you're about there with the profile:


And without the gauge in place:



I kept a very close eye on the thickness of the neck - you do not want to take so much material off that you go through the back of the neck into the truss rod channel - I have seen this mistake before and it's very upsetting!

I'll do the same at the 12th fret later in the week and start to join them up before moving onto the finer shaping around the heel and headstock transition. 

No comments:

Post a Comment