Sunday 3 January 2016

Telecaster build - fretboard binding

The next job towards finishing the fretboard is binding it. It's not a necessary step, but a nice touch since without it you can see the sides of the fretslots / fret wire on the outside of the fretboard.

I set up a pretty nasty router jig to cut a fine sliver off the side of the fretboard. I'm not proud of this, but it was safe and I figured that as this is a five minute job which I rarely do it wasn't worth making something too sophisticated :


From the side:


When the fretboard is run along the wall here, the router is set up to take about 1mm width, 2mm depth off the edge of it. I ran a few practices:


They looked ok, so I went for it, feeding the fretboard against the wall, past the router bit:


Yielding:


The end at the nut was tidied up with a chisel (which needs sharpening...):


And did a dry run to check it would be held in straight by the tape:


Before glueing up both sides of the fretboard with the rosewood binding:


And:


Next step is to trim the excess height of the binding strips down and sand the overhang on the sides back to the original width of the fretboard. Then I'll make and inlay the marker dots. 

No comments:

Post a Comment