Tuesday 26 January 2016

Telecaster build - neck completion (again...)

Prior to being attached the fretboard was slightly oversized, we have to spend a little time sanding down both sides of the fretboard so that it matches the neck. I used a straight edge with sandpaper to get the fretboard flush:



Then turned my attention to the headstock transition. There needs to be a smooth radius joining the headstock to the main neck. I built a little jig to hold my robo-sander, into which I could feed the neck:



I fed the neck in until it reached this point:



Then sanded the rest down by hand to get rid of that little lip.

The last job of the evening was to sand the face of the fretboard down to 600 grit, checking all the time that it remained straight along its length and that the radius didn't deviate from 9.5":



The fretboard is now finish sanded, and looks like this:



Here is the headstock transition, only sanded to a low grit but now approaching completion:






No comments:

Post a Comment