Thursday 10 December 2015

Telecaster Two build - body routing

I'm building two guitars at the same time, hoping to get some efficiency savings (especially later when it comes to painting / curing time). 

This is the second body, which will be a standard solid body. Two piece swamp ash, not a bookmatched top, it will get a solid colour: 



I marked a centre line and traced around the template. I picked up this trick of tracing the template using a washer to get a slightly bigger outline. This makes it a bit more of a relaxed operation to cut out to this outline rather than worry about slipping on the real shape.  



I only have a little bandsaw, so make a lot of relief cuts. You can see that I cut to the outside line of the template:



Once the body is rough cut, the template has to be attached. I mask off both the body and the template with cheapo masking tape, then stick them together with superglue, sounds a bit odd, but holds them together extremely strongly:




First pass with the router:



Change bits and make another pass:



And another;



And one more after this yields a second body shape:





I forgot to measure the weight of the first body before I hollowed it out. I weighed these two and the solid body weighed in at exactly 6lbs (it will end up a bit less than this as there the various cavities to rout out yet). I don't really know what this means the final guitar weight will be, but I do know that at 3.75lb, the hollowing out of the first body appears to have had a significant effect. 

There's all kind of chit chat on the internet about what this weight reduction will do to the 'tele tone' (tm), I guess we'll have to wait and see...

No comments:

Post a Comment