Monday 30 July 2018

Les Paul - Body shaping

After cutting it oversize, I started to get the mahogany in shape. In the past I've run a router over the template, using a follower bearing on it.

This has worked fine, but it's easy to tilt the router sometimes - especially on the guitar's horn or somewhere where there's not much template surface to offer support. This leads to nicks in the guitar edge. With a painted guitar, no problem - fill it, sand and cover with paint. This guitar will not be painted so there's nowhere to hide. Therefore, I decided to use a different tool.

I'll be using my robo sander, which is a small drum sander mounted in a pillar drill, with a follower bearing. The guitar template is attached to the body:



And offered up to the bearing:


You then run the sander against the body until the bearing hits the template, at which point you're done. 

Make sure you have dust extraction :)



This yields this finish:



I also have a finer grit sleeve to tidy it up more. This is a nicer finish than a router, and it's a method which appears to be lower risk, more predictable, quieter and (with dust extraction) cleaner, albeit slower. I'll use this in the future for this step instead of the router. 

One other downside to using the robo sander is that it'll wear out your pillar drill - they apparently don't like sideways pressure being applied to them. 

The body is about half done, I'll finish up the shaping in the next couple of days 


No comments:

Post a Comment