Sunday 6 March 2016

Telecaster Two build - Frets in!

There are two significant jobs left on the ebony neck: sanding the transition between the headstock and the fretboard and the fretting. 

First, the headstock transition. As before I used my robosander jig and gradually created the radius across the end of the fretboard (there's a scraper across the headstock to make sure it doesn't get scratched):


To this:


Then I picked up my fret wire. When held against a radius template, you can see that the radius of the wire as it was delivered to me is slightly flatter than that of the fretboard:


This was an issue I encountered with the previous fretjob I did, but I had no way to correct it beyond manually tweaking each fret with pliers. This time, I bought a fret wire radiusing machine:


After the fretwire is run through a couple of times, the radius of the fretwire matches the fretboard (in fact, it's slightly tighter, as this helps force it down when hammering into the fretslots):


I cleaned out the fretslots, using the horrible fret cleaning saw, I dislike this tool as it's incredibly sharp and a slip would horribly gouge the fretboard. However, it cleans out the slots very thoroughly:


Then the frets started to go in:


I may have mentioned this in the last fret job, but I put a little glue into each fret slot before hammering in the fret wire. The glue is just Titebond, the same as is used in all the wood joints on the project. This is to fill any gaps beneath the fret wire rather than to hold in the wire:


It also allows you to see when all the gaps beneath the fret are full and the wire is fully seated, as the glue squeezes out;


22 Frets later:


And with the fret ends nipped off:


And:


I had originally planned to dye the fretboard with India ink to make it a solid black. In the end, I decided to let the wood be. Against a pair of necks with rosewood fretboards (prior to today's fretting), you can see the difference in colour:



The bottom neck shown there is a strat neck I'm building and which is currently having its lacquer polished. 

Here's the neck positioned in its body:



The neck is now done, bar finish sanding. It'll be aligned and mounted on the body next. I'll probably then dry fit the nut, bridge and tuners and string them both up before starting on the finish sanding. 

No comments:

Post a Comment